Brian J. Lockwood
Brian J. Lockwood is an attorney with over 20 years experience defending the legal rights of his clients. Mr. Lockwood has served both as a felony prosecutor and a public defender. After graduating from Creighton University School of Law in May 1995, Mr. Lockwood passed the California Bar Examination on his first try. He then gained admission to the Nebraska Bar Association and the Alabama State Bar. His practice is presently limited to Alabama.
Mr. Lockwood has tried several dozen jury trials and literally hundreds of bench trials during his career. In addition, he served as lead counsel in several appellate cases ranging from juvenile matters to felony criminal matters. Mr. Lockwood served as lead counsel in cases alleging murder, manslaughter, sexual assault (rape), criminal assault in all degrees, drug possession, drug manufacturing, drug distribution (dealing), burglary, robbery, arson, theft, driving while intoxicated or under the influence (DWI/DUI), and misdemeanors too numerous to list. Along with performing trials, Mr. Lockwood has negotiated settlements in hundreds of cases.
Along with the Alabama State Bar and Nebraska Bar Association, Mr. Lockwood is a member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the Mobile Bar Association, and the Mobile Criminal Defense Lawyers Association.
While not practicing law, Brian enjoys sailing, fishing and spending time with his wife and their three children.
- Creighton University School of Law, Omaha, Nebraska
- California State University - Chico, Chico, California
- Honors: Dean's List
- Major: Political Science - Pre-Law
- Scotts Bluff County Public Defender's Office, Attorney, 2003 to 2011
- Scotts Bluff County Attorney's Office, Attorney, 2000 to 2002
- Kinkle, Rodiger & Spriggs, P.C., Associate Attorney, 1997 to 2000
Fraternities or Sororities
- Tau Kappa Epsilon
- Phi Delta Phi
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member, 2002 to Present
- Alabama Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Mobile Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Criminal Defense
- California, 1995
- Nebraska, 1996
- Alabama, 2010
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Alabama
- Supreme Court of Alabama
- State v. Mata, 280 Neb. 849, 790 N.W.2d 716, 2010, Nebraska Supreme Court
- State v. Tompkins, 272 Neb. 865, 727 N.W.2d 716, 2007, Nebraska Supreme Court
- State v. Colby, 16 Neb.App. 644, 748 N.W.2d 118, 2008, Nebraska Court of Appeals
- In re: Interest of Christopher R., 13 Neb.App. 748, 700 N.w.2d 688, 2005, Nebraska Court of Appeals
- Mewborn v. State of Alabama, 170 So.3d 709, 2014, Alabama Criminal Appeals
- Levins v. State of Alabama, 285 So.3d 250, 2016, Alabama Criminal Appeals